A STATE of emergency will be declared on Thursday after five people were shot over the weekend in the city of Miami Beach.
City officials said on Monday that South Beach will be placed under a midnight curfew following the violence from overwhelming Spring Break crowds.
Miami Beach will be placed under a state of emergency following weekend violenceCredit: AFP
The mayor said five people were shot as Spring Breakers crowded local streetsCredit: CBS
Four police officers were also injured during the chaosCredit: CBS
The incidents involved two separate situations on Ocean Drive with both taking place during Spring Break, according to the Miami Herald.
A social media post reported four Miami Beach police officers were injured as well.
A video posted by the Miami Beach Fraternal Order of Police showed hundreds of Spring Breakers surrounding and boxing in golf carts.
“Officers are EXHAUSTED. The party needs to end. City officials must take immediate and firm action to ensure the safety of officers and residents,” the post said.
Over the weekend, police found two people shot near Ocean Drive and Eighth Street, and a third victim showed up to the hospital on his own.
Later, two more people were injured when gunfire broke out near Seventh Street and Ocean Drive.
The curfew was announced by City Manager Alina Hudak at a press conference.
The curfew will cover all of South Beach starting at 23rd Street beginning just after midnight on Thursday and ending Monday at 6am.
After midnight, only residents or visitors to the city with hotel reservations or business in the area can enter through Fifth Street, which will have a traffic blockade guarded by the Florida Department of Transportation.
Hudak can only issue emergency orders over 72-hour periods, so she plans to ask the City Commission to extend the curfew for the following weekend, the Herald reported.
Police will roam the curfew zone to enforce the restriction.
Out of an abundance of caution, a city-organized concert scheduled for Saturday will be postponed after concern for overcrowding and potential further violence.
“There are cowards out there toting guns,” Hudak said, according to the Herald.
These curfews are not new to the city.
In 2021, city officials imposed an 8pm curfew and closed major highways to traffic going into the city.
So far in 2022, a couple of shootings have occurred in the area, but no one has died and there have been no life-threatening injuries, the Herald reported.
While arrests are down from last year, Police Chief Richard Clements said 100 guns were confiscated in the last four weeks.
Area business owners told the Herald Spring Break has improved but a “rough crowd” came through town over the weekend.
A campaign by the city encouraged Spring Breakers to “Come on Vacation, Don’t leave on Probation.”
Miami Beach police escort revelers as they gather on Ocean DriveCredit: AFP
A woman falls while running on Ocean Drive in Miami BeachCredit: AFP
A musician performs near a beach in FloridaCredit: AFP
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?